Bitdefender offers impenetrable security solution with unmatched user experience. However, at times, it fells prey to technical glitches. One such issue is “Bitdefender Installation Has Failed” Or “Bitdefender Fatal Error During Installation”. This problem occurs due to multiple reasons arising due to issues in System, Windows Installer, or the application itself.
Cross-check System Requirements
One of the most common reasons for a Bitdefender Fatal Error during installation is that your system doesn’t conform to the specified system requirements. As such, you must ensure that your system meets the requirements enlisted for a successful installation.
Completely Remove Previously Installed Bitdefender Product
- First of all, open a Web Browser.
- Now, go to the Support page of Bitdefender’s official website. In short, open “bitdefender.com/uninstall”
- Next, you should locate the “Uninstall Tool” specific to the product installed on your system.
- Then, click on “Uninstall Tool”.
- In the following menu box, click on the “Download The Uninstaller” link.
- As a result, it will download the Setup file. Once it is completed, “Open” the file.
- Thereafter, click “Yes” on the “User Accounts Control” window.
- Subsequently, click on the “Uninstall” button on the following window.
- This will start uninstalling the unwanted Bitdefender Security Product. Hence, wait for the process to complete.
- Meanwhile, if you get the Firewalls Settings window, click on “Allow Access” to proceed.
- Once, it completely uninstalls the application, it will notify you the same.
- Therefore, restart your computer to complete the process.
Completely Remove Third-Party Security Product
Similarly, you should uninstall any third-party security product from your computer. For instance, Norton, McAfee etc. For this, you can use dedicated “Uninstall Tools” or simply uninstall them from the “Control Panel”.
Download Updated Setup File
At times, outdated or corrupted Setup Files results in installation failure. Hence, it is recommended to download the latest Setup File directly from the official website of Bitdefender.
Grant Full Administrative Control to User Account
- First and foremost, open “File Explorer” on your computer. For this, look for the File icon at the bottom left-hand side of your screen.
- Now, right-click on the Drive where you want to install the Setup File. Then, select “Properties”.
- Next, you should click on the “Security” tab. Then, look under the “Group or User Names” box. This list must display the SYSTEM User Account. However, in case it doesn’t list the SYSTEM User Account. Then, you should “Add” the same in the following way.
- Click on the “Edit” tab beneath this list.
- If prompted, click on “Approve/ Yes” for User Account Control.
- Now, click on “Add”.
- As such, you will get the “Select Users or Groups” window. Here, look for the “Enter the object names to select” section. Now, type in “SYSTEM” in the provided field.
- Thereafter, click on the “Check Names” tab.
- Then, click “OK”.
- Once again, go to the Security section to change permissions. Here, click on “Edit” under the “Group or User Names” box.
- Now, click on “Approve/ Yes” if prompted by the User Account Control.
- Next, you should select the “SYSTEM” Account.
- Thereafter, look under the “Permissions For SYSTEM” box. Here, you must ensure that the “Full Control” is set to “Allow”. However, if it is not selected, tick mark the respective checkbox.
- Finally, click on “OK”.
- Once again, return to the Security section. Then, click on the “Advanced” tab located at the bottom right-hand corner.
- Click on the “Change Permissions” tab on the following window.
- Now, look under the “Permissions” section. Here, you should select “SYSTEM”. Then, click on “Edit”.
- Next, you should click on the “Applies To” dropdown box. Then, select “This folder, subfolder and files” and click on “OK”.
- Thereafter, wait for the OS to apply the permissions.
- Then, re-try Bitdefender Installation to see if the Bitdefender Fatal Error has been resolved or not.
Start and Re-register Microsoft Installer Service
- First of all, press “Windows + R” to open the “Run” prompt.
- Now, type in “services.msc“ in the Run box and click “OK”.
- Next, you should locate “Windows Installer” from the list provided in the following window. Then, double-click on it.
- On the “Windows Installer Properties” window, ensure that the “General” tab is open. Now, look under the “Service Status” section. If it displays “Stopped”, then, click on the “Start” button. Else, click on “Stop” first followed by “Start”.
- Finally, click on “OK”.
- Once again, press “Windows + R” and enter “msiexec/ unregister”.
- Then, press the “Enter” key.
- Thereafter, press Win + R again. Then enter “msiexec/ regserver“. Then, press “Enter”.